.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

argotnaut

Monday, August 21, 2006

A place ... where nobody dared to go ...



One of my friends invited me to Gay Skate Night, a monthly event at Oaks Park that benefits the Just Out Scholarship Fund and Esther's Pantry.

When I was a teenager growing up in Morris, Illinois, the skating rink was THE place to be. Or at least THE place to have your parents drop you off before you went somewhere else to do your smoking and drinking and whatnot.

I admit involvement in some whatnot, but I did actually enjoy the skating itself. But since then, I've only been skating once in the past twenty years (ack!) and that time was ten years ago.

I felt pretty wobbly when I first put the skates on tonight; in fact, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to manage it. But by the end of the night, I was thinking, "Hey! I'm feeling pretty confident! Almost as good as twenty...WHOA-OA-OA-OA!"

No, really. I didn't fall down, felt fairly up-to-speed by the end of the night, and they played Xanadu. Great fun, and great exercise (although I'm sure I'll be achy tomorrow). What more could I possibly want?

Well, for one thing, I wish it were closer to home! I would definitely go and skate every week if it weren't so dag-blasted hard to get to via public trans. And maybe even get my very own skates ... [sigh].

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home